Top 10 worst excuses for submitting your tax return late
HMRC have released their 2014 list of the worst excuses for submitting your tax return late. As if by magic, here it is in no particular order:
- I was up a mountain in Wales and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal.
- I fell in with the wrong crowd.
- I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
- Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
- I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
- A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
- I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
- My girlfriend’s pregnant.
- I was in Australia.
- My pet dog ate my tax return… and all the reminders.
Here’s the list in all its glory if you want to see it for yourself. Shockingly, none of the above excuses resulted in a successful penalty appeal.
In other news, 1,773 tax returns were received by HMRC on Christmas Day 2014, with the busiest time between noon and 1pm. The veg isn’t going to peel itself guys!
OK stay tuned for some more groundbreaking news – we’ll be in touch soon (assuming we don’t get stuck up a mountain in Wales in the meantime).