Howlader & Co Blog

Multi-national tax avoidance

22nd November 2012

This week the newspapers have been following the proceedings of the appearance of representatives from Starbucks and Amazon in front of the Public Accounts Committee. The UK based operations of these big multinational companies have managed to avoid paying more than a minimal amount of corporation tax to the UK through a variety of systems which although legal, are causing more

Workplace Pension Schemes

13th November 2012

Workplace Pensions Starting from October 2012, if you meet certain criteria, you will be automatically enrolled in a workplace pension scheme. This is to ensure that enough people are saving enough money for their retirement, as many face the risk of a steep fall in their quality of life once they retire (the State Pension for 2012/13 is £107.45/week). The qualifying criteria more

UKBA Letters

15th October 2012

One of the lesser well known services that we provide as chartered accountants in London is the production of letters confirming income or savings, for various different purposes. One of the more common is for those applying to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) for a Tier 1 visa. What do I need to prove more

Equipment – Buying vs Hire Purchase vs Leasing

28th September 2012

Should I buy or lease this? Which is better for tax purposes? Just some of the common questions we receive from our clients about equipment for their company. Hopefully this blog will help solve those questions that you have about this topic as well. Buying The simplest situation – in this case, you buy the asset outright for cash.

  1. Potentially high up-front cost more

Foreign Aspects Of Tax: Residence/Ordinary Residence/Domicile

7th September 2012

UPDATE October 21, 2013: Following their overhaul of the way that statutory residence is determined (covered in our Budget 2013 blog here), HMRC has released updated guidance in booklets RDR1 and RDR3. These replace the previous guidance, HMRC6, and contain examples covering typical situations that may apply to you if you have foreign income more

Using your home as an office for your business – what can be claimed?

8th August 2012

“Can I claim money back on council tax? What about rent? Home broadband? Electricity bills? etc.” These, and others like it, are some of the most frequently asked questions we receive, so in today’s blog we answer the question ‘If I work in an office at my house, what can I claim money on, and how much can I claim?’ The structure more